Co-organized by Institute of Chinese Studies, The Chinese University of Hong Kong,
École française d'Extrême-Orient, and The Hong Kong University of Science and Technology Library
Maps are most often communication tools. To enhance our understanding of their significance and use, it is important to have accurate knowledge of the stages of their mapmaking process and of their languages, including the recognition of their codification systems. It is also essential be aware that maps are, by their very nature, never definitive. They are the result of a particular era, temporal objective, or policy goal that has inevitably changed over time. Our reading of maps must take all these elements into account, and in particular, we must avoid our modern way of looking at things, so that we do not interpret elements and representations that we no longer understand as bizarre.
For this lecture series, we have selected different types of maps to better distinguish their uses, traditions, and diffusion.
The Programme for the Lectures is as follows:
1. Exhibition: "China in Maps: 500 Years of Evolving Images"
September 28, 2023 – June 7 2024, at Lee Shau Kee Library (HKUST)
2. Public Lecture: "The Global Eye. Dutch and Portuguese Maps and Vistas of Global Nodes (ca. 1650) in the collection of Cosimo III de’ Medici." by Dr. Angelo CATTANEO (National Research Council of Italy, Italy)
October 26, 2023: 4:30-6:30 pm, at Digital Scholarship Lab, G/F, University Library, CUHK
3. Public Lecture: "The First Printed Missionary Map of East Asia-Hybrid Cartography and Propaganda" by Dr. Marco CABOARA (HKUST)
November 14, 2023: 4:30-6:30 pm, at Digital Scholarship Lab, G/F, University Library, CUHK
4. Symposium: Mapping East Asia in Context
December 6-8, 2023, at the HKUST
5. Public Lecture: "Comment on the Typology of the Map: Production and Spread" by Ms. BAI Hongye (National Library of China)
February 22, 2024: 4:30-6:30 pm, at ICS-CUHK
6. Public Lecture: "Comment on the Map of the Eastern Tumed Right Banner, Inner Mongolia" by Dr. Isabelle CHARLEUX (CNRS France)
April 3, 2024: 4:30-6:30 pm, at ICS-CUHK
7. Public Lecture: "On the Chinese Administrative Maps Tradition" by Dr. CHENG Yinong (Yunnan University)
April 11, 2024: 4:30-6:30 pm, at ICS-CUHK
Online Registration: Click Here
All are welcome!
Enquiry: 3943 7393 /